An analysis research paper is a popular assignment meant to test a candidate’s ability to critically examine an event, literature, or scientific research. This paper requires you to express your opinions regarding a topic and to supplement your arguments with the necessary evidence.
If you are struggling with your analytical paper, this guide will highlight the process of writing an analysis paper and tips to make the process easy. We will also highlight various topics in analysis to inspire your topic selection.
How to write an analytical paper
When writing an analysis paper, you are tasked with analysing the themes, arguments, research methods, and claims made in a paper. After this analysis, present your opinions on the quality of a paper and highlight your perceived weaknesses of a paper.
To write an effective analytical research paper, the following steps ought to come in handy.
- Select a topic
Topic selection is a crucial determinant in your academic writing experience. Ideally, select a topic that evokes your interests to have ample impetus for in-depth research.
If a topic has not been provided by your tutor, you should find an interesting idea within the scope of your research question. Ideally, your topic should analyse specific aspects of the topic to ensure that you exhaust your analysis within the provided word count.
For instance, you could argue that the approach used in a paper was not legitimate and highlight various biases that discredit the results. Also, you could show how the results do not necessarily reflect on the conclusion and cite sources that have yielded contrary findings.
- Perform primary research
Before writing your essay, peruse multiple materials relating to the topic. These materials will give you a good grounding of the topic, helping you to better break down the object under study.
The primary research should also include a study of the publication/ event you are studying. After familiarizing yourself with the field and getting a scope of the topic, you can objectively scrutinize a topic to make substantial queries on various aspects of the subject.
- Choose a thesis
After familiarizing yourself with the knowledge in a field, select a statement that summarizes your argument. For instance, you may analyse the reasons behind alcohol addiction by college students.
Your thesis should indicate the analytical paper topic, giving your reader a gist of your key argument.
- Conduct secondary research
After selecting your thesis, conduct extensive research on the field to establish the sources that support your standpoint. Also, take note of sources that oppose your argument as they can be of great help in your analysis.
Arguing against counterarguments allows you to highlight their weaknesses, improving the overall quality of your argument. When addressing your research, we suggest that you start by brainstorming ideas that could make up your argument.
Next, research these ideas and prune the arguments that are indirectly related to your thesis.
- Prepare an outline
After collecting all the information related to your topic, sort your arguments into paragraphs. The outline should highlight the ideas contained in each section, helping you gauge the flow of arguments in your paper.
The outline will allow you to gauge the completeness of your research paper analysis section, helping you revisit your sources before you start writing.
- Write your paper
After preparing your outline, write your first draft. Your draft should investigate your ideas in depth and include the necessary intext citations for evidence in your paper.
After completing your first draft, run it through multiple rounds of editing to highlight any errors. You should consider engaging an expert editor for quality feedback and guidance to resolve various issues within your paper.
Analysis paper topics
Concept analysis paper topics
- What causes juvenile alcoholism?
- What are the psychological and social causes of bullying?
- How can we reduce inequity among people?
- How and why do gender roles differ among cultures?
- the primary factors of fast climate change
- Why and exactly how to tackle the subject of sexual education
- What are the available treatments for insomnia?
- Is higher education associated with increased job security?
Data analysis topics
- Big data confidentiality and security concerns
- Machine learning techniques for massive data
- Describe the significance of probabilistic categorization in data mining
- Explain why density-based clustering is required.
- What is the significance of data exploration in data analysis?
- What exactly is data retention, and why is it so important?
Process analysis paper topics
- How do you deal with test anxiety and stress?
- How do you quit smoking?
- What influence does gambling have on people’s mental health?
- The advantages of meditation in the process of breaking unhealthy habits like smoking
- How does a viral disease manifest itself in the body?
- What is the greatest technique to boost your immune system?
Topics for Rhetorical Analysis
- What’s the difference between Symbolism and Imagery?
- Many high school students despise home-schooling
- The effects of video games on pre-schoolers
- The Influence of Horror Films on Middle and Pre-schoolers
- The significance of symbolism in literature and art
- How lack of access and poverty affect young Americans’ home-schooling